Wednesday, November 5, 2008

last friday




I was working on designing my vending machine on last friday. I tried to have the feel of retro but kinda did not work out. I was having difficult time to mimic the style.

At the end of the day, when I checked my e-mail from my mentor, I was like "@-@...."
what he suggested me was so true. he said,

- the focus is relying very heavily on the design of - and interaction with the vending machine.
- the real experience is the interaction with the product.
- After the food is payed for and the customer is holding the food, that is where the 'real experience' begins... Outside of the food, how much will a single color basket with the country's name printed on it add to that experience? Is there any keepsake from that experience?
- colours should be more edible
- not to be bound by the cliches associated with that era. add to that influence so that you
create something fresh and new.

This comment really helped me pause a bit and realize what's more important thing to do for my project. I totally ignored the value of packaging and later experience with the product outside of the food..how should they feel when they get the package? it should be exciting, curious, friendly, fresh. the basket will not help them feel in this way.. I had to stop working on the vending machine and rethink what's my primary goal through this whole experience.. what experience is more meaningful than other?

No comments: