Thursday, September 18, 2008

feel lost again

I guess I can't define what my position is.
I feel like I am digging a hole. The deeper I get in, the more I panic.
The reason is I guess I am not so sure what I am doing.
I will try to define my problem/position again..to make myself clear..

Through my observation and research, I can see so many benefits we can get from having the multiculturalism in Vancouver.

  1. economy, cultures(food,music,dance,movies,art), languages, learning/experiencing opportunities, religions, values, etc
  2. we can learn and adopt some good aspects of other cultures.
  3. enhance the quality of lives (interesting, dynamic, experienced)
  4. unite cultures

However, for some people
  1. who are not used to multiculturalism,
  2. who believe they are superior to other ethnic groups,
  3. who sticks to one's own culture and isolate oneself from the other cultures
  4. who have fears/assumptions of other cultures
especially in Vancouver, I think new commers (immigrants, workers, students, travellers) belong to 1-4.

fail to experience, understand, and celebrate the benefits of the multiculturalism.
  1. ignorance/misunderstanding
  2. lack of interest
  3. fear
  4. unfamiliarity
  5. cultural barrier

result in
  1. racism
  2. disunion
  3. solitudes
  4. cultural gap


I want to invite the people to understand and appreciate the multiculturalism and to create interaction between cultures in order to develop the quality of lives in Vancouver.


No comments: