Saturday, September 13, 2008

problem + solution

I am working at a Japanese restaurant; it has been about 4 years.
From my observation, I have seen many people tend to order some food that they only know of or they always eat. Some people who are usually long-term customer, they do not even look at the menu at all. Some people who are totally new to or not used to Japanese food mostly order the “safe and boring” rolls such as dynamite roll or califonia roll. I think that people tend to stay in a comfort/safe zone when they order food especially at ethnic restaurants.

From this observation, I was thinking how to make ppl to try new food, to make the process
of ordering more interesting and dynamic. However, after I talked with Don, I realized that
my problem and goal could go further.

okay, here is my problem + solution

Problem : In Vancouver, the most multicultural city in the world, I believe that people failed to
experience, accept and celebrate other cultures because of the fear and assumption of
the unknown.
-fear
-assumption
-passive
-ignorance

Solution : I'll explore how to make people to celebrate and accept other cultures and break
barriers through the celebration of food.
-interaction
-friendly / approachable
-understanding

1 comment:

Kamilla Fahradova said...

People are afraid of change.
I would go to restaurants and try almost anything, except for too spicy food, and I think this is because I grew up in a multi-cultural family. But most other people would eat what they always eat. They stick to safe and normal things. I also think racism and ignorance plays a role in some of choices - like, people eat California roll because it was made so that white man doesn't see seaweed.