Thursday, October 30, 2008

meeting w/ Don

I was really worried about the possibility of getting rejection for my new direction today.
Since I was suggested with two different directions from Don and Tak during last two weeks, I had to find a way to reflect both suggestions in my design process. I think, I managed okay and quite appreciated the opportunity that I could do 'go back and forth'..

okay, my first idea was to make the vending machine in a cylinder shape so that people can go/walk around with their friend and select their snacks. And also, I was going to put round shape of tables around the machine like "(O)" so that the youth can seat with their friends and share snacks. However, I realized that the shape and table will demand a huge space which won't work in a secondary school environment! The school is not going to give me that space for the vending machine! The idea was developed while I was thinking about the user experience ( how to make the experience more fun n dynamic), but I decided to let it go in order to make it really work in terms of space requirement. And the round shape demand more footprints, too. So I am sticking with the regular rectangular shape(wider than the ordinary ones)..or even two semicircular machines will work too.

I also thought about designing take away cards that will be displayed at the front of each section door. The cards will include the illustration of food, beneficial info about the ingredients, nutritional fact, ect.. But it will cost extra for the company in terms of management and printing. ( they need to keep the wage/production cost low to provide low cost for the user). Instead, I can just put the label on the food package cellophane, it has to be with the food under the law anyways..

Don liked the way how the vending machine actually shows the food itself through the window.
Through the window, the user should be able to read the name, ingredients, and nutritional fact easily( I should think about where the label will be placed on the package)

-vending machine design
-cultural plate design
-label design
-identity design

No comments: